Babes-Bolyai University is the Top Romanian University in the University Metaraking-2016 of the Romanian Ministry of Education and Research
The Ministry of Education and Research has established a High Level Experts Group to examine, together with national and international consultants, the presence of the Romanian universities in several major international academic rankings of universities. The following international academic rankings of universities were examined and included in the University Metaraking-2016: (1) Academic Ranking of World Universities/ARWO; (2) Center for World University Rankings/CWUR; (3) Leiden Ranking/CWTS; (4) Performance Ranking of Scientific Papers of World Universities/PRSPWU; (5) QS-Top Universities Ranking/QS; (6) Scimago Institutions Ranking/Scimago; (7) Times Higher Education–World University Rankings/THE; (8) University Ranking by Academic Performance/URAP; (9) World’s Best Universities Rankings/US-News.
Each of the above mentioned international ranking was standardized based on quintiles (i.e., the ranks were divided in five equal classes; universities were places in Class 1 if they were ranked in the first 20% of the rankings available in each rank, and in Class 5 if they were ranked in the las 20% of the ranks). Subsequently, each university obtained points based on their location in various quintiles in each ranking (i.e., 5 points for Class 1, 4 points for Class 2, 3 points for Class 3, 2 points for Class 4, and 1 point for Class 5). Their position in the University Metaraking-2016 (see Table 1) was based on the total score derived from the sum of the points.
As one can see in Table 1, twenty (20) Romanian universities are comprised in the University Metaranking-2016 (see here for full text). The Top-3 Romanian universities are: (1) Babeş-Bolyai University; (2) Bucharest University and (3) Bucharest Politehnic University. There are a total number of 92 universities in Romania, 55 of them being public and 37 being private universities.
Tabel 1. University Metaraking-2016.
|Ranks||Romanian Universities||Total Score (Quintiles)|
|1||Universitatea Babeș-Bolyai din Cluj-Napoca||13|
|2||Universitatea din București||10|
|3||Universitatea Politehnica din București||8|
|4||Universitatea Alexandru Ioan Cuza din Iași||7|
|5||Universitatea de Vest din Timișoara||6|
|6||Universitatea de Medicină și Farmacie Carol Davila din București||3|
|6||Universitatea de Medicină și Farmacie Iuliu Hațieganu din Cluj-Napoca||3|
|6||Universitatea Tehnică Gheorghe Asachi din Iași||3|
|7||Universitatea de Medicină și Farmacie Grigore T. Popa din Iași||2|
|7||Universitatea Politehnica din Timișoara||2|
|7||Universitatea Tehnică din Cluj-Napoca||2|
|7||Universitatea Transilvania din Brașov||2|
|8||Academia de Studii Economice din București||1|
|8||Universitatea din Craiova||1|
|8||Universitatea Dunărea de Jos din Galați||1|
|8||Universitatea Lucian Blaga din Sibiu||1|
|8||Universitatea de Medicină și Farmacie Victor Babeș din Timișoara||1|
|8||Universitatea din Oradea||1|
|8||Universitatea Ovidius din Constanța||1|
|8||Universitatea Petrol-Gaze din Ploiești||1|
Invitation to the presentation “Benefits of Open Access to Modern Journal and the Increasing of Their International Visibility”
STAR-UBB Institute, in partnership with Studia UBB, invites you to a presentation meeting on the subject of “Benefits of Open Access to Modern Journals and the Increasing of Their International Visibility”, which will take place on the 17th of November 2017, starting 11:00 AM, in Club Room, University Hall (Casa Universitarilor). The full announcement can be downloaded here.
Update: Compared to the document below, the Administration Board of UBB has supplemented the UBB Advanced Fellowships-Intern from 7 to 9 (with two UBB Advanced Fellowships-Intern that target scientific excellency).
Babeş-Bolyai University (UBB), through the STAR-UBB Institute, offers seven (7) UBB Advanced Fellowships-Intern. UBB Advanced Fellowships-Intern are addressed to professors or top researchers, from UBB and/or from other prestigious academic institutions in Romania. The details regarding the granting procedure are found in this document.
UBB is the leading university in Romania, according to the last centralized international ranking released publicly in 2016. The most recent ranking of this type is Times Higher Education (THE), in which Babeş-Bolyai University from Cluj-Napoca is included in the 601-800 category (of the almost 1.000 universities included in the evaluation), together with the West University from Timişoara. Alexandru Ioan Cuza University from Iaşi and University of Bucharest place in the 801+ category, the four universities being the only Romanian universities included in this ranking.
The criteria/indicators taken into account by the Times Higher Education ranking are those of teaching/learning, research (publications/citations), knowledge transfer and internationalization, analyzing approximately 1.313 influential world research universities and approximately 20.000 answers regarding academic reputation. UBB places first in Romania on three specific criteria/indicators: teaching/research-citations/knowledge transfer, and second on the other two: research-publications/internationalization, after Alexandru Ioan Cuza University of Iaşi.
In the major international rankings of universities in 2016, UBB ranks as follows:
- In the U.S. News ranking (Best Global Universities Rankings) –which includes approximately 750 world universities, UBB ranks first among Romanian universities (560 on the international level), followed by the University of Bucharest (588) and the Technical University in Bucharest (706).
- In the Webometrics ranking (Ranging Web of Universities) – which includes approximately 11.996 world universities, UBB ranks first in Romania (938 on the international level), followed by the University of Bucharest (975) and Alexandru Ioan Cuza University in Iaşi (1018).
- In the URAP ranking (University Ranking by Academic Performance) – which includes approximately 2.000 world universities, UBB ranks second in Romania (690 on the international level), outrunning the University of Bucharest (726), but being outrun by the Technical University of Bucharest (621).
- In the Scimago ranking (Institutions Rankings), which includes approximately 2.894 world universities, UBB ranks third (600 on the international level), after the Technical University in Bucharest (552) and the Technical University in Timişoara (599).
- In the QS ranking (World University Rankings) – which includes approximately 1.000 world universities, UBB holds its 701+ ranking on the international level, together with the University of Bucharest, Alexandru Ioan Cuza in Iaşi and West University in Timişoara, though placing second at the national level, after the University of Bucharest.
- In the CWUR ranking (World University Ranking) – which includes approximately 1.000 world universities, two Romanian universities are present: the University of Bucharest, ranking 977 and UBB, ranking 980.
- In the Leiden Ranking, UBB is the sole Romanian university included in the ranking, placing at 791 among world universities.
Therefore, in a 2016 metaranking, UBB places first at a national level, closely followed by the University of Bucharest, and the Technical University in Bucharest.
Announcement made by the UBB’s Direcţia Comunicare şi PR.
STAR-UBB Institute, together with CFCIDFR of UBB, invites you to the “International Visibility for University Reasearch” seminar, held by THOMSON REUTERS specialists (invited by Enformation, Romania), which will take place on the 28th of September 2016, at the John Snow conference room, on the ground floor of Universitas Hotel, from 11 to 1 pm. Those interested can get more information from this document.
Babeş-Bolyai University invites you on Monday, 26th of September, starting at 1 pm, at the press conference held with regards to the launch of the Institute of Advanced Studies in Science and Technology (the STAR-UBB Institute). The event will take place at the Club hall of Casa Universitarilor (Em. de Martonne street, number 1, Cluj-Napoca).
Present at the event will be Acad. prof. univ. dr. Ioan-Aurel Pop, Rector of UBB/director of STAR-UBB Institute Board, Prof. univ. dr. Daniel David, vice-chancellor of UBB/executive director of STAR-UBB Institute, together with other vice-chancellors and teachers from UBB.
Announcement made by the UBB’s Direcţia Comunicare şi PR.